Role of the President
The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the multi-campus Washington State University system and reports to a 10-member Board of Regents. As the University’s leader, the President collaborates with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to define the vision and set the direction for the institution. As the champion of its reputation, the President articulates the strategic goals and messages of the University in order to build broad support for and ownership of WSU’s aspirations among its many constituents, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, the Board of Regents, the WSU Foundation, local communities, government, business and industry leaders statewide, the media, and the general public.
As head of an institution firmly rooted in the tenets of shared institutional governance, the President reinforces those principles by inviting and engaging the university community—particularly faculty, staff, and students—in important conversations affecting WSU’s future. Recognizing that intellectual capital is the University’s most valuable asset, the President champions issues that enhance the abilities of members of the WSU community to perform their duties at the highest levels.
As an institution that enjoys a long tradition of executives who welcome and seek out opportunities to engage with WSU students, the President must continue this precedent, interacting with and seeking input from the next generation of leaders. As the “role model in chief,” the President also is uniquely empowered to encourage the personal growth of students.
The President directs an executive leadership team that includes:
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Vice President for Development and CEO of the WSU Foundation
- Vice President for External Affairs and Government Relations
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
- Vice President for International Programs
- Vice President for Research
- Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Vice President for the Global Campus
- Associate Vice President/Chief Budget Officer
- Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Director of Internal Audit
- Chancellor, WSU Spokane
- Chancellor, WSU Tri-Cities
- Chancellor, WSU Vancouver
- Dean of WSU North Puget Sound Everett and Everett University Center
The President is responsible for the development of a comprehensive and responsible budget focused on advancing the institution’s strategic goals and priorities. He or she is also responsible for overseeing both human and financial resources in a manner that ensures accountability and transparency. The President oversees a $1.8 billion operating budget and a $273 million capital budget, a growing endowment of more than $868 million, and research expenditures of more than $375 million annually.